We have a climate emergency that requires urgent action at all levels. The Just Transition Summit organised by the central government was top-down and profit-driven. To ensure our transition to a low emission society is fit for purpose and socially just, the community must drive it. Our Just Transition Community Conference offers a platform for communities to kick start or reinforce our transition pathways.
Over 90 people attended our community conference where we reiterated on why we need a just transition and spelled out the kind of false solutions that are being promoted. We showcased the range of true solutions that are available and already being championed by communities and brainstormed what else could be done. We learnt about community organising and committed ourselves to action.
Program: Click here to download.Thanks to Kieran we now have VIDEOS of the conference, check them out!
Sound recordings and slides presented by speakers (following the program) are also available below:
Climate Emergency; Social Impacts of Onshore Oil & Gas in Taranaki
- Prof. James Renwick: Climate Emergency
- Sarah Roberts: Oil & gas drilling in Taranaki
Panel: Youth vision and power
- Kim DeVantier
- Joel Clement
- Fiona Glennie
- Ethan Griffiths
- Nikita Taiapa
- Bec Simpson
Sustainable Energy Systems; Community Energy Resilience
- Prof Alan Brent: Sustainable energy systems for community
- Tihikura Hohaia & Josh Curd: Taiepa Tiketike
Bioenergy; Hydrogen and Carbon capture and storage
- Tim Forcey: Hydrogen and carbon capture & storage
- Brian Cox: Bioenergy and biofuels
Panel – Just Transition for Workers and Maori; Taranaki 2050 Roadmap
- Jen Natoli
- Tiri Bailey
- Natalie Wiseman: Taranaki 2050 draft Roadmap
- Catherine Cheung
- Emily Bailey: Indigenous sustainability
Can Farming be a Solution?
- Carl Freeman: My idea to ‘hyper localise’ how food is produced and consumed
- Kama Burwell: Farming as a climate solution
- Fiona Young
Community Vision and Solutions
- Tony Collins
- Margaret Smith
- Franziska von Hunerbein: Crop Swap Aotearoa
Thank you so much to everybody who have contributed to our wonderful and most inspiring conference; our speakers, our MC, our time-keeper, our chefs and everyone who brought and share with us kai and aroha so generously.
Together we are embarking on true solutions to our climate crisis!