2030 Just Transition Community Strategy Hui
Saturday 23 November 1-7pm, Hatherly Hall, New Plymouth.
The clock is ticking on this global climate crisis and we may have less than ten years to transition away from fossil fuels and towards a regenerative economy. Councils, government and big business however are working as a small select group on a 2050 transition plan focusing on crown investment in businesses. We think that’s too late and we think workers, kaitiaki and more of the community need to have real input and share the benefits not just the costs. Please join us in building a community just transition strategy by 2030!
|1:00||Welcome, icebreaker, introductions|
|1:30||Understanding the just transition political playing field eg. UNFCCC 10yr timeline, Zero Carbon Act, Tapuae Roa, Taranaki 2050 Roadmap…|
|Strategy for Community Just Transition by 2030 – what do we want?
|3:30||Break, Networking, Kai o te ahiahi / Afternoon tea|
|Strategy for Community Just Transition by 2030 – how best to influence society and the powerful (https://trainings.350.org/topics/strategy/)
|6:00||How do we keep working together well and what’s next?|
|6:30||Kai o te pō / Dinner|
Please bring a plate to share and/or contribute to the costs of catering. Toys and books for kids are warmly welcome as is any help with the child-minding roster on the day.
If you can’t make it please email any thoughts, comments or ideas to email@example.com and we’ll incorporate them into the strategy.
- to bring together community groups, unions and individuals in Taranaki working towards a just transition in this climate emergency
- to share with each other what campaigns and strategies we are already using that align with a just transition
- to encourage and discuss how we could all work together long term
- to strategise collectively for a just transition by 2030, starting now with key players in order to set the stage nationally
- to provide time and space to up-skill each other in areas we may need it eg. laws and policies, economics, decolonisation, nvda and communication.
37 Vivian Street, New Plymouth (Foyer of St Mary’s Cathedral)